Niarchos' Yacht La Creole - Photos by Edward Quinn

Niarchos' Schooner “La Créole” . Villefranche, Monte Carlo 1955 Creole was built 1927 for the American, Alexander Smith Cochran. Launched as ‘Vira’ she was the largest yacht Camper & Nicholsons had ever constructed. Her Bermudan schooner rig was used so that the yacht could be sailed with limited crew who would not have heavy gaffs to pull up. She was used by the Royal Navy during the Second World War, and then returned to her intended use when Stavros Niarchos bought her in 1948. She was rebuilt in 1958, and then purchased by Maurizio Gucci in 1983, who had her restored back at Camper & Nicholsons between 1984 and 1986. She became his pride and joy, later to be accompanied by Avel, another, smaller, Nicholson design. She is a regular on the Mediterranean regatta scene, based in Palma over the winter and used by the Gucci sisters during the summer months.” Sail Yacht Creole is a sail 65.30m (214'2"ft) built by Camper & Nicholsons Yachts and launched in 1927. The yacht's interior has been designed by Russo and has exterior styling by Charles E. Nicholson.
File: Yacht_LeCreole_14B_001.jpg

Niarchos' Yacht Le Creole  photographed by Edward Quinn on the French Riviera. © edwardquinn.com